Luneburg - Day 2

 


There are a lot of things that are every day occcurences in Germany.  In the morning, you will see people sweeping the sidewalk in front of their shop or homes.  You also see duvets hanging out an open window to air them out.



I particulary like the roll down shutters in the windows.

I went into town feeling confident that all the streets lead to the town square.  I was almost right except the one I chose was blocked off because a building was under construction.  Thankfully, the fence wasn't too far down the street so walking back wasn't a big deal.  I saw a house that was for sale.  333,000 Euros.  That's $446,286.00.  I don't know if that's expensive for Germany.  I couldn't tell how many rooms it had but it looked big.



Neat old door to the house.

I saw a narrow street I thought was typical in old towns.  I waited 10 minutes to get this picture.  I didn't want people in it.  I thought it was a good thing I was on my own because if someone had been with me, they wouldn't have been too happy waiting for me to get the picture.


In German towns, the mail seems to always be delivered by a postman or woman on a bike.  This particular bike was electric, a three wheeler and ridden by an older woman.  Later, I saw a young postal guy riding a regular bike.  Not everyone is fortunate to have an ebike.


I go another street next to the one I was on and head straight into the town square.  I decide to go to the Information bureau because I remember seeing a map with a walking tour to places on interest in the town.  I got a map that was in English which was a great help.

Around the corner from the town hall is a building called Das Schwangere Haus (the pregnant house).  From the front it looks like a relatively normal building.  From the side, however, it bulges out.  The shape of the wall is created by absorbing moisture.  When houses were built from brick in the 12th century, the Luneburgers used gypsum and anhydrite as lime mortar replacement.  If humidity from indoors, rainwater or groundwater penetrates the masonry, a chemical process begins in the masonry.    The outer wall starts swelling.  No reaction takes place in the warm, dry wall in the building.  The swelling isn't strong enough to lift the whole house.  It pushes the outer brick layer outwards and forms a "belly".




Using my paper map, I begin the walking tour of the town.  I was quite happy to find all eight places to see.

I went to the old crane in the Luneburg harbour.  It was first mentioned in official documents in 1345.  In 1959, it burnt down and was rebuilt.  The centuries-old harbour crane was used to lift salt, as well as other valuable goods such as firewood.  Salt was a huge commodity in this town.  It was valuable and made the people of the town wealthy.  In the pictures that follow, you will see a boat called a salt cog.  The water was not very deep so this boat was used to take goods down the Illmenau (name of the canal) until they met the Elbe river.  The boats didn't return empty.  They were filled with different wares.  The crane was used for unpacking the packages from the boats.  The scene of the boat on the water, was a pleasant surprise because I'd often seen the water, boat and restaurant in pictures on a German FB page I joined.


A photographer with a jazzy looking camera and a tripod was taking pictures while I was there.  I started following him because I thought he would probably find the best locations to take pictures.  He might have wondered how come every time he turned around I was there.



As in most towns where there are bridges, you will find love locks on them as is the case at the Brausebruecke bridge in Luneburg.  Here, however, there is a sign asking people to stop putting locks on the bridge.  


The oldest house in the town was built in 1446!  That was 421 years before Canada became a country!



I decided to go the water tower because you could go to the top and take pictures.  There was an elevator to do it too!  I wouldn't have gone if they hadn't been one.  I walked around looking for it.  By chance I looked up and over.  There it was.  That's a tip for you - look up.






The blue you see is the inside of the water tank.  It was creepy being in a huge tank that from 1907 to 1985 held 500,000 liters of drinking water for the town.  The amount of water in the tank would last almost 11 years for one person in Germany.

The view from the top of the tower was fantastic.  Clear blue skies and a medieval town made for a nice day!


I noticed most of the window ledges of houses all had decorations on them.  Some were pretty tacky - different beer bottles.  Some had children's toys.  Some were done like an art exhibit.  I liked this one.


Fall is definitely in the air.  The acorns have fallen from the trees.  Tonight, we're supposed to get the first frost of the year.  I'll be pulling my blankets up around my ears!


During the day, however, it is still good enough weather for the hearty Germans to sit outside at cafes.  Not for moi!  I headed to Karlstadt's food floor to have lunch.  The Germans have the right idea for a couple of things.  One - a cart to put your full tray on.  Why risk carrying it?  Two - a conveyor belt to put your tray with your dirty dishes on.  The conveyor belt take the dirty dishes to the kitchen to be washed.  Of course, I took pictures of both.  This was something I'd never seen before.




Karlstadt restaurant




I saw these chairs at a point where I wanted to sit down.  They look so inviting.  I didn't dare sit in one.  I was afraid the fabric would give and I'd end up with my face between my legs or I'd have to ask for help to get up!  I walked on by and found a strong wooden bench.



One of the prettiest finds was this fountain of three children playing in the water.  Look at the joy on the face of the little girl.  Kids playing in water is universal.





Time to head home to update my list for customs of things I've bought on this trip.  I pulled out my receipts and saw this!!!  It was a 10% discount coupon that I could have used when I had lunch.  Being the cheap person I am, I felt robbed. 


Tomorrow is my last day in Luneburg.  I do know that three days here would have been enough.  I have no plans for tomorrow.  I am going to have a day of doing nothing.  My head knows it is nearing the end of this trip.  It's telling me we need a day off before the last push to Bremen!

Steps today = 16,713





Comments

  1. The houses are sure different shapes, the first one was like a barn. I like the yellow bikes for mail delivery, do you want a job? The swelling house was cool. Wonder if it shrinks back in warmer weather. Did the photographer spot you?
    I notice that all the roofs are nearly the same color. The restaurant is very cool looking. Hope the food was good too. Love you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bremen - Market Day

Lies All Lies

NEMO - Not the Fish